Friday, December 14, 2012

The Gift of Giving

So, this time of year we are all making list and checking them twice.   I have reflected on some of my favorite gifts.  The thing that has made them special is not what they are but the thought that goes behind them.

My sister gave me this when I was accepted to SMU:

It was perfect.  The sweatshirt was nice but the small saying has helped me so much in my journey at Perkins.

I received this from a dear friend....


I love the words/picture and I love that she knows that coffee mugs just make my day happier.  So, perfect.

One year as a teacher I received a box of jello. My student wanted to give me a gift so he got it out of his pantry and wrapped it himself.  The love in that present was so pure and perfect!

I guess my point is that the gifts that I remember the most are not fancy presents that cost a fortune or gift cards to my favorite store.   They are gifts that have meaning behind them.  They are an extension of the friendship/relationship. 

This mother's day I got a tree for out back.  It blooms my favorite color (purple) and it is still alive.


This was our Christmas Morning last year.....



I just to be a complete cheese ball.....My greatest gift ever was last Christmas.   It came a day late, but Dan cam home on Dec. 26th.   The gift of having my family under one roof was really all I wanted. (I know, I know cheese ball, but I warned you so stop rolling your eyes.)

Perspective: I am not the best gift giver.  I try, but I do resort to gift cards at times also, but I hope in this season of giving that the gifts I give are more than a box crossed off a list.   My hope is they have some thought and love wrapped into them.  


No comments:

Post a Comment