Thursday, December 20, 2012

Hospital Life....

So, we have skipped a few days, but really they were all the same.  Dan was now in a hospital room, he had a massive headache, his body hurt, he still had 4-5 IVs at all times, he still had a fever and he still thought that he would be home for Christmas.

This was also the day that our church had a traveler’s Christmas Eve Service.  I had decided that a little piece of normal would be good so I was going to be a part of that service.

I spent the morning with Dan and his brothers were coming by to hang with him in the evening. 
I went to help set up for the service and then went to go change and get ready.  

Then my phone rang.  

It was Dan he was going in for surgery at 6:00 for his ankle.  They had determined that he had a massive infection in his ankle and they needed to remove it and repair the torn tendon. I mean bacterial meningitis, septic blood, and ICU were not enough for Dan, he also needed surgery on his ankle.  Perfect. 

Well, that is just great….one of the few times that I decide to leave Dan's room they decided to do surgery.  So, I hang up with Dan and call his brothers. ( Ok, before I called his brothers I had an ugly cry) They were on the way to the hospital.  I decided to continue on to church. I had told my kids I would be there (they were at my parents) I had told the church I would be there and frankly Dan still did not know what day it was or my name.  So, Dan’s brothers were there with him and I would leave immediately after the service and go back to his bed side. 

That service was amazing, it lifted my spirit, it renewed my soul, it was perfect.  I kissed my crying kids (they wanted to go with me) and ran to the hospital to see how Dan was recovering after surgery…..But, as hospitals work they were running late and he was still in his room about to leave for surgery.  I got to be by his side, say a prayer, and kiss his lips before he went back.  What a gift.   That night the waiting room was filled with dear friends that sat with me until 11:00 when his surgery was complete.  It went good and the cleaned out the infection and repaired the ankle.  

Perspective:  Again, I have to say in situations like this always go with your gut.  It all worked out, I got to be at a Christmas Service with my boys on my lap, and then kiss the lips of my hubby.  It all worked out.   

No comments:

Post a Comment