Friday, December 7, 2012

Christmas Traditions

So, we are in the 2nd week of Advent and awaiting Christmas.  I wonder what are your family Christmas traditions?

We have some old (same as when I was a kid) and some new traditions in my family.

We are adding some traditions like "Elvis" the elf.  It is kinda a weird manipulative tradition, but fun.   This is what happens when Mr. is home with the elf....


So, the other "new" tradition that my family does is make a cake for baby Jesus every Christmas Eve.  IT is fun, and sometimes it is cute and some years it is just a cake.

We always go and visit the same Santa.  I love him!!!




I also collect different Nativities.  I love the different sets from around the world.  I also love the miniature Nativity sets (that way I can collect more).



We have some sort of Advent calendar.  This year we did a paper chain that we read every night.  I have this in PDF and publisher if anyone wants it.


One of my favorites is when we light the advent candle each week.  There is a simple joy in reading a verse and focusing on the different candles (faith, love, joy, peace).


We have several family dinners, and friend functions, work parties, etc.  This year I am excited about the ugly sweater party that I am going to tomorrow.  I borrowed a sweater from my Mom, she threw in the watch and bracelet just cause she loves me.

On Christmas eve we go to a candle light service and I cry at Silent Night.  It is my ultimate favorite moment of Christmas.

On Christmas morning the kids are not allowed to come out of there room until we are in the living room.  (I love seeing their faces when the look at the different presents, and note from Santa  and if baby Jesus is in the Nativity.)  So, we usually wake up to the kids banging on the wall to give them the green light.

 Perspective:  But, this is what I learned last year.  All of the traditions are great, they are special memories, but what really matters is WHO is around your tree on Christmas morning.  Last year we did Christmas with Dan in the hospital and it was just not right.  It was not a horrible morning, the boys had good memories, but it made me sick.  So, this Christmas, make the memories, bake the cookies, but remember the people that you love and be so very thankful for the gift of them.





No comments:

Post a Comment