Saturday, December 15, 2012

A Year Ago....December 15-16, 2011


A year ago….
So, this time about a year ago.  Life was so very normal…
We just had our family picture taken.



Then it was not.  

This week will focus on the events of last year.  They were scary, they were sobering, they were just plain ol’ bad, they are full of miracles.   These events are what started my new perspective on life.  They were when I had the opportunity to walk on the edge of tragedy.  To see what faith really is, and how much the love that I have for my family is so very true and pure. 

December 15th:  The Mr. was sick and we both though it was the flu. Dec. 15th he was up most the night sick, and was having the shakes so bad that I went to the couch to sleep.  He fell down in the bathroom and tore an ACL in his ankle (we would find this out about Dec. 20th).  This is the night that I look back on and wonder what I missed…….was he really just sick and I ignored it, or was he really so very sick that I had not a clue.  How do you not know when his body was being attacked?  How can you ignore that and call it the flu? 

So, it began….Mr. with the flu.  I was more worried about us getting sick and me missing out on work (kind of the busy season with church work).  So, after him sleeping most the day on Thursday we went to the doctor on Friday morning.   At this point he was having trouble walking and moving his arms.  Our primary doctor was booked so we saw the other Dr.   We walked out of the doctor (Dan using me to walk) with some drugs to help with joint pain and to call on Monday if he was not getting better. 

You all need to know that he had no fever at this point.  But, my gut knew it was not just a virus in the joints.  I could kick myself for not saying more at the doctor.  I could kick myself for not talking him to the ER earlier.  I could kick myself…..ok you get the point. 

I took him home and went to the Holiday parties for the boys (it was the last day before break) and came home to find a sick and week husband.  I wanted to go to the ER, he wanted to let the medication have a chance.  My gut was screaming at me.  But, I listened to his reason.  I went to my local church and borrowed a wheel chair…really?!?!  If you need to borrow a wheel chair and don’t really have a reason you should go to the ER, but life is not as simple when you are living in the moment.  I was just trying to help him get around without my help.    

I had BUNCO that night and just could not leave him.  I just had a gut feeling.  Still he was talking and acting ok, but not right.  So, I canceled.  I stayed home and just watched him sleep.  We had several more “discussions” about going to the ER.  Why was I not more forceful?  But, I did have my plan B….called my neighbor and my parents….if I call you in the middle of the night answer the phone.  I don’t feel good about Dan.   I set my alarm to go off every 2 hours. 

So, this is when the story really begins.  I had fallen asleep (about 2 am) and he woke me by banging on the wall….he could not talk.  

Perspective:  Listen to your gut!  In all decisions LISTEN.....it is your core (and I believe some Holy Spirit) telling you to pay attention!  Your gut does not always match the normal of life, but listen anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment