Monday, December 10, 2012

Magical Moments

So, last week I had the opportunity to attend a clergy women lunch.   I walked in and knew a few people so that was refreshing, and found some fellow Perkins students to talk with and some new clergy women that I am beginning to connect with.....anyway that was a very boring introduction to an amazing experience.

So, we sit down to eat and to my right is a student at Perkins, and to my left is a retired clergy (let's call her RC).

As we are talking RC ask both of us about our calling stories and how we got to where we are today.

The Perkins student shared that RC is part of the reason why she joined the current church she is at, and it was at this church that she found and listened to her calling.

Perkins' student,  "You don't know me but, you were preaching a beautiful sermon, and it was my 1st or 2nd Sunday at this church.  I did not know anyone.   I listened to your words and looked at the people and knew that this church was the place for me.  You were one of the reasons that I joined that church and this is where I found my calling."

RC, "That is what I needed to hear.  I have always felt that my service at that church was a low in my career.   It is moments like this that remind me that God is always at work.  Thank you so very much for sharing.  It was a true blessing to me."

Perspective:  You never know when you will be a positive influence to another person.  I love that, and it is also very overwhelming. Always remember, your words when they come out of your mouth you can never take them back.  Do you want the impact to be one that they remember as positive or negative way? Your words and actions influence others in ways that you will never know,well, until years later when you are retired and sitting at a luncheon and ask an innocent question......


No comments:

Post a Comment