Sunday, September 23, 2012

It is always the Mom’s fault.


This is in response to I don’t want to.  
Well, the kid finally talked.  He is not having a hard time at school he is having a hard time adjusting to my new school schedule.  You see I now have class on Wednesday nights.  I get home at 9:45.  This is just a little past my kid’s bed time. 
So, I am given the gift of guilt and honestly a little annoyed with this new realization.  I had it all planned:  My mom is with the boys after school.  She takes Slick and Mr. Determined to sonic for ice cream, does a piano lesson, and helps with homework.  My hubby comes home and takes over from there: scouts, making lunches, signing folders, etc.  It is not like they come home to an empty house with cereal on the kitchen table. 

So, I am filled with GUILT and with REALLY KID?

The issue that I have with this situation is I need to look at it from his perspective and my perspective.

His:  Mom is not home at night.  He loves his Grandmother and his Dad but at this point in his life Mom is the best. (darn straight)   He does not know what to do with the emotion with missing me.  So he cries.

Mine:  I don’t want to be in class until 9:00 at night.  I am at the mercy of the class schedule and my class requirements.  I have a supportive family and hubby that can take the family ball that we bounce back and forth with minimal problems.  I felt like I had it covered.  Yet he is still sad.  I get annoyed with that and I have guilt about that.  But, you know what.  He will adjust.  I will adjust and by the time I have finals he is going to be annoyed when I am home on Wednesday nights. 

At least he talked.  At least we know what is going on in his mind (at least some of it).  It is not some horrible situation that he is crying about.  He misses his Mommy.  You know, I’ll take that because in a few years he will not want to be seen with me in public.  I do dance to 80’s music without any true warning.  I am a little embarrassing.  

2 comments:

  1. Teenagers are meant to be embarrassed by their parents.

    It is good you know. Now, you just need to give him a few coping skills for Wednesday night! Social stories are my favorite. Put a book together with him and flesh out when he feels the most anxious and find ways and ideas for him to soothe himself and cope with his emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! A friend of mine send me an email about a Journal to keep with your kids. I might try that also.

      Delete