Thursday, January 31, 2013

Parents...

When I was 6 years old I loved my parents more than anything.   They kept me safe and they loved me no matter what.

When I was 12 years old I could not stand to be in the same room as my parents.   They knew nothing, they were totally uncool and anything that came out of their mouth was just totally embarrassing.   They still kept me safe and they loved me no matter what.

When I was 18 I was away at college.   I missed my parents.  I did not understand this because for the past 6 years I thought they were totally controlling and completely uncool.  They kept me in their prayers every night and loved me no matter what.

When I was 24 I was newly married.  I had a different name from my parents.   I saw them now as people with real smarts.   They knew things, they could help me and Mr. with decisions.   They were real people.   This was a weird realization.   They still kept me and MR. in their prayers every night and loved me no matter what.

When I was 30 I had just given birth to my second son.   I relied on my parents like I never had as an adult.  I got it.   We became friends.  They still kept me, MR., Slick, and Mr. Determined in their prayers every night and loved me no matter what.

I am now 36.  I am living a crazy busy life.   My parents help me keep my rhythm.    We love and respect each other.   We pray for each other. 

I know there is going to be a day where my boys can't stand to be in the same room with me.  This reason will be simple.   I am their Mom.  I also know that our relationship will have a foundation that when they move from teenage years to young adult years our love will remain and our relationship will change and grow.  They will also know that even when they are tall, stinky, pimply, mouthy, know-it-all teenagers, I will always love them and keep them safe.

I am so blessed to have wonderful parents (and amazing grandparents to my kids).

Perspective: Hug  your parents.  Call your parents.  Say a prayer for your parents.  If your parents have passed away.   Get out a picture and tell your own children stories about them.  If your parents were not so great, then call the adult in your life that help you become who you are today. 


1 comment:

  1. You're so awesome! I do not suppose I'vе trulу reaԁ
    thгough something likе this before.
    So wοnderful to discover someone with some genuine thoughts
    on this subject matter. Reаlly.. thanks for starting this up.
    This sitе is one thing that is neеded on the web, someоne with a little οriginality!



    my ωeb site ... Chemietoilette

    ReplyDelete