Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Instant Gratification

I love things that give me an "Instant Gratification" moment:
-cleaning
-reading a book
-a good work out
-ordering food to go
-a to do list that has everything checked off
-when I post on FB/Twitter/Instagram and *Boom*someone "likes" or retweets.



Ok, well you get the point.  I have never been a very patient person.  I like things done.  When I think they should be done.   This can be an annoying personality trait, both for my friends and family and for myself. 

I am currently working on loosing the wonderful 16 pounds I found last year.   I am really watching my diet and will soon add in the exercise.  Here  is my problem....I can not loose 16 pounds in one week.   I did loose 3.2 pounds this past week.  Why I got off the scale and noticed that I was disappointed.   I then had to keep myself in check.  -3.2 pounds is great.   It was just not the instant gratification moment that I can snap my finger and have it "fixed".  

I understand that most things in my life that give me joy are things that also do not give me instant gratification. 
-my family
-my education
-my marrage
-my church
-my friends

All of these things take work and lots of time!!!

I remember that I got a detention in Jr. High for banging knocking on the bathroom door (which I though my friend was in)  when the teacher came out of the bathroom and asked me to follow her, I did.  She said, "Patience is a virtue" ,and then gave me a dentition.  Her words are still something I remind myself as an adult.

Perspective:   This is where perspective can be a wonderful gift.   It really is all how you view situations.  If you take a step back and notice the good, the accomplishments, the joy in situations it can give you the peace that you need.  The peace is much better than the rush of instant gratification!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment