Friday, November 2, 2012

A Day in the Life..Schedules

We all know a moment when I am able to put something into an excel spreadsheet or my Google calendar it makes me happy.

My color coded calendar of joy.
But, scheduling a family can be a nightmare when you have more than one activity going on.

This year Slick is in baseball and scouts.  Mr. D is also in baseball and scouts.

Now, I did not even mention: PTA, play dates, night meeting at work, make up games, batting practice, study groups, Mr. is stuck in traffic, one kid is sick, one parent is sick, the fact they they both really want to do TaKwonDo, etc. :-)

Practices, Scout Meetings, and games rule our lives.  Oh, wait don't forget that I am in grad school and the Mr. commutes to Irving everyday.  I will say that sharing a Google calendar with Mr. on our phones, sure does help with the who goes where when thing!

I am lucky enough to have a work schedule that means I am home when my kids get out of school.   We do snack/and just chill for a bit when they get home and then homework, and any chores.  It is hard sometimes to keep school and homework 1st.  But, I have to remind myself (and my boys) that school is their job now.  It should always come first.  That does mean that it always does, but it is our goal.
I do have clipboards so if we are at a practice the other kiddo can work on homework.  It is not ideal, but it get's it done. :-)

So, This is how it goes:

Monday....we don't have a practice or a anything.  (breath)
Tuesday....Mr. D baseball and Sick Scouts
Wednesday....Mr. D scouts (and several games this night)
Thursday.....Slick baseball

Saturday....games/scout activities/church outreach events

So, I am in class on Wednesday so between Mr., my parents and my dear friends people get where they need to go.

We get a rhythm going and I go here and Mr. goes there.  It is fine.  It works.

This is our last weekend of baseball.  This gives me joy! I love watching my boys play, but I will also love not having practices and games for a while. :-)



I tried to talk both of my boys out of scouts this year.  But, they love it (it is not that I don't---I was just trying to have a slower routine/pace to the week)
My scouts...

So, this I how I deal when it gets to be to much, to fast, to late....We just don't go.  Simply we stay home, and it is ok.  The games go on with out us, the meetings go on with out us.  Now, I don't do this to often, we did make a commitment and it is important to live up to it.   But, it is also important to slow down sometimes.  To just sit and be.




No comments:

Post a Comment