Monday, August 26, 2013

Be real!



 *This one has Mom in it a lot….if you are a Dad reading this feel free to exchange Mom for Dad.  


So, for many Mommies today is a day full of emotions.   It is the 1st day of ____________.
Here is the thing that I want to let all of us know…..whatever emotion that you are feeling is just fine!

·       To the Mom that has been crying all weekend and having a really hard time letting your kiddo walk into the school walls….I get it.

·       To the Mom that set her alarm early so there was NO WAY that the kids would be late on the 1st day.  Then had a skip to her step on the way to school…..I get it.

·       To the Mom that slept in her “grown” kids room last night because it was so empty now that they are away at college…..I am sure one day I will get it!

·       To the Mom that is fine with summer, fine with school, and totally does not get why people care so much…..I get it!

·       To the Mom that will cry in about 2 weeks in the carpool line as she says good bye for the day…..I get it.

·       To the Mom that followed the school bus and hid behind a bush to see your kid walk into school…..I get it and know many women who have done it. 

Let yourself be you.   Don’t feel bad if you are not crying when you drop off your kid at school AND don’t hide it if you are.   The crying Mom (let’s call her Mom C) and the dancing Mom (let’s call her Mom D) are BOTH good Moms!   They just respond differently to their children going back to school.   I am sure some days Mom C is a happy when Mom D is sad.   The fact remains that they both love their children. 

So, today…..be who you are.   Be real.   It is so much easier!

If you need some words today to pray for your kids….this is my favorite back to school prayer:

Dear Gracious and Loving God,
As my children leave for school,
I pray that you will keep them in your care.
Send your Spirit to open their minds
to all that is true and beautiful and good.
Help them to see the gifts and talents
you have given them and to use them well.
Help them to grow in knowledge and wisdom.
Help them to be kind to others
and lead others be kind to them.
Give their teachers patience and understanding
and help them teach what is just and true.
Send your angels to guide and guard my children
and to keep them from all harm.
Open their young hearts to your presence
and enfold them in your peace and protection.
Hold them in the palm of your hand
and bring them home safely at day's end.
Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment