Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Repent and Believe in the Gospel

This past Wednesday we were told:  Repent and believe in the gospel. We see this word again, and again in the scriptures…REPENT.


I think in most seasons of Lent I focus on the first part: In my humanity I am sinful, I am broken, I am not what I need to be. 

I do this so much:

This past Wednesday, I had the awesome opportunity to preach, and it was a good message…..yet by the time I got home I only focused on what I did not say, what I did not do, what I could have done……so when Dan asked me how it went, I was like….it was ok.

When I did not pass DCOM this year.  I thought this is not what I need to be doing, I tried to imagine myself doing other things….so that I did not have to face them again.

When I work out now, I only think of the things that I used to be able to do that I can no longer do.

I don’t need to be reminded by the ashes on my forehead that I am human, that I am broken, that I can be so much more. I do that to myself so easily.  It is my nature.

Then Wednesday night I got an email.  It was a kind message from a church member saying that God used me to speak straight to her.  She was not planning on attending Ash Wednesday but found herself in the pew.    The words that she said were kind and uplifting, but more importantly, it reminded me that God uses broken people to heal the world, to bring light where there is darkness. I did not say everything I wanted to say,  in being open to the Holy Spirit, I was able to speak to her heart.

My DCOM meeting this past year has only given me the total assurance and conviction that I am called to this work.  

I can't run a 5K anymore, but I can move.  So, I need to start moving.

Repent, and believe in the gospel…To believe in the gospel to me means to fully 100% believe that God does love me, all of me- the good and the bad.

Today I wanted to tell you:
you are broken, AND you are loved.
You are sinful, AND you are loved.
You might have been told NO, but you ARE loved.
You might not be doing all you want to do today AND you are loved.

Yes, let the ashes lead you this lent, but don’t get lost in them.  Remember that you are created from the dust from the image of God.  I can only image how intense the love it that God has for us.  I hope to live into THAT this lent…..let the ashes lead you toward the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment